Parenting

"Why do people get divorced?"
"Why do demons possess people?"
"Can demons possess people?"
"My friend is sad, his parents aren't talking, can we pray for him?"
"Do you know what it means to 5-star somebody?"
"I farted on you." Thank you dear, I hadn't noticed.
"When will the end of the world be?"
"Are demons real?"
"Whats a speedo?"
"Really what does heaven look like?"
"What would happen if I pee in the shape of a heart on dad's grave?" (I can't make this stuff up)
"Will we ever get a new dad?"
"When will the end of the world be?"

 The questions hit rapid fire in the space of about 10 minutes. They are sprawled on my cozy king size bed where all four of my children feel welcome through all hours of the night. My brain is swirling, trying to keep up with each thought. It's bedtime, moms off the clock, she needs a break. But I can't put this conversation to bed. My heart is overwhelmed with gratitude, my children (potty jokes aside) are capable of having deep thoughts. Miracles do happen! They are picking up what I'm throwing down. We looked to the bible, we googled we had a very real, deep conversation with an occasional burp thrown in the mix. We talked demons and the consequences of public indecency. This is real life, this is my REAL life. It's sweet and beautiful, this life-giving work I do. But it is exhausting. Single-parenting is not for the faint of heart. I've met so many amazing ones who work, pay bills, remember-all-the-things, care, tend, try-so-hard-not-to-loose-their-minds, feed and clothe their little people. I want so much to have effortless energy and focused attention on each needy heart. Jesus never fails to remind me that in my weakness as a parent he is strong. He loves my kids even more than I do and He promises to be their good Father. He challenges me to live my very best, I'm not promised tomorrow but I have this day to use my time wisely.


A friend recently described parenting as the ability to control and influence. We have control over our babies. We decide when they eat, what they will eat or where they will go. As they grow we begin to have more influence to help guide them into making their own decisions. As they become adolescents we have some control and influence. Our control over our little people becomes less, and I hate it. I hate it so much. I want them to behave just like I decided they should. 

Jesus is faithful to remind me He cares far more about developing a heart of love and obedience than perfect performance. God cares about my sacrament of praise to him even in the small mundane moments with my kids. When I kiss my children goodnight I am kissing the cheek of God. When I give them a back rub or one more story I engage in worship. My kids need unconditional love, patience, and respect. They learn about Jesus in our less than exciting moments at home. 

As they grow, my ability to control lessons and my influence is what I offer. It's a sobering thought. When they ask questions now, or ask the same question for what feels like 10 times, it's easy to become exasperated. Jesus is reminding me to take a breath, and teach, to love, and accept. Even when it feels like these little years will never end. Right now I have influence and control over many of their decisions. I want to make it count. He reminds me he can create in me a clean heart, and renew a right spirit within me, because out of my mouth my heart speaks. What I say, my kids repeat.

In case any of you think I've figured this parenting thing out, bless you. One of my children decided to repel out of a third story window not that long ago. He decided he'd rather not be in time-out and it was the easiest way out. It's hard, this parenting thing. Jesus reminds, "Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me, work with me-watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. (SO freaking good) I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly. Matt.11.28-30

Popular Posts